© Lauren Whitlock - Wedding Officiant.

How to Obtain Your Marriage License


Change Your Name


Getting your marriage license doesn't need to be difficult. Sit back and get ready to be informed. By the time you reach the end of this guide, you'll have all the info you need.




A marrage license is obtained at the county's Recorder of Deeds office. You may obtain a license in whichever county you like and use it wherever you choose in the state. (A reason some couples get their license in other counties is that they don't want their names to appear in the local paper. The issuance of a marriage license is a public record and your names, in the case of Greene County, will be sent to the Springfield News-Leader.)


Ok. So what are the steps?


First, the Necessary Numbers:

Greene County Recorder of Deeds—Cheryl Dawson Spaulding




Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00-4:30

940 N Boonville Avenue, Room 102 Springfield 65802

To obtain a Greene County Marriage License...

You and your partner will need to go to the Recorder of Deeds Office (Cheryl Dawson-Spaulding) at 940 N. Boonville Avenue, Room 102 Springfield. Both of you will need to bring:

• ID (Driver's License will work or State Issued Identification);

• proof of Social Security Number (i.e. birth certificate; If you do not have a copy of your birth certificate, go to the Missouir Health and Senior Services website www.health.mo.gov/data/vitalrecords/applications, download the application for a copy of your birth certificate.  Send the application, with a self-addressed stamped envelope and a $15 check or money order to Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, PO Box 570, Jefferson City MO  65102);

• $51 in cash or you may use debit/credit, but there is a convenience fee for doing so;

• previously married applicants must provide the date their last marriage ended.

Once you have provided the above info, you will be given a packet that includes your marriage license and instructions. The license is good for 30 days.

On the day of the wedding, you will give your marriage license to your Officiant who will then get witness signatures and mail your license for you.

To change your name...

You will need a certified copy of your marriage license to change your name. You can get this:

• at the time you apply for your marriage license, you can pay $9 additional for a certified copy to be mailed to you as soon as the Recorder's Office receives your license in the mail; I highly recommend doing this.


• after your ceremony, wait a few days for the Recorder's Office to receive your license (and call the Recorder's Office to be sure), then go to the Recorder's Office and request a certified copy of your license;


• send a written request to Recorder of Deeds, 940 N Boonville Avenue, Room 102, Springfield 65802 (include cashier's check or money order for $9 payable to the Recorder of Deeds along with both of your names and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Top three places to change your name...

Driver's License (go to any License Office)

• Voter Registration (Greene County Clerk's Office, 940 N Boonville Springfield 65802)

• Social Security (1570 W Battlefield Springfield 65807)


For a list of other places you should change your name, go to https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AfZ0CvG_2T3tvFc8DjsBkdHzAIxP-ZMHgT4jTOle79uK06QFi0-M890/